If you are striving for a balanced diet, you may be wondering where your favorite treats fit in.
The good news is that whether you prefer something sweet or salty, research1 shows that you shouldn't deprive yourself of the foods you love! Portion-controlled treats are an important part of balanced eating.
As with anything, moderation is the key. Take the time to savor your treats and choose those that you will truly enjoy. Here are some ways you can treat yourself and help you maintain a balanced diet:
- By sticking to 100-200 calorie portions, such as four HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates, you can even enjoy a daily treat! In fact, a recent study2 showed that people who eat chocolate regularly had a lower body mass index than those who didn't.
- If you are looking for something sweet to end your meal, stock up on fruits that are naturally sweet and pair them with greek yogurt or angel food cake. You can also grill fruits like pineapple and peaches for a delicious caramelized flavor.
Make a Mix:
- Buy a bag of your favorite sweet or salty treats, mix them together and put them in a pre-portioned plastic bag. You can get a little bit of everything and they are easy to stash in your purse or desk.
Share the Wealth:
- When you are out to dinner with friends, don't skip that delicious brownie dessert or your favorite mozzarella sticks appetizer. Have everyone share one order so that you can all have a taste without overdoing it!
Treats don't have to be food related!
- Sleeping in for a half hour, taking an extra-long shower or buying a new lipstick are small indulgences that can make your day a little brighter.